The City of Ember (Book of Ember, #1) by Jeanne DuPrau

The City of Ember - Jeanne DuPrau

Rainy days are best spent with a book. With the wind and rain providing a comfortable lull in the air, I searched for something to read. Tired of reading thru eReaders, I looked for a physical one. Sifting through our book haul from the 36th MIBF, I found nothing suited for a day like this. Just as I was about to give up, I noticed a book almost glowing. It was the City of Ember.

First read by my sister, borrowed from a friend. I thought this was the same copy, but looking at the back, the price tag was new. I can't seem to believe it that she would also purchase a copy of her own. This must be something.

And it is. An hour has passed and I am halfway through the book. It was not that compelling but it sure made me forget of the world I was in. I loved it that nothing was convenient for the 2 MCs. (God knows, most YA books make everything convenient for their protagonists.) I could sense the darkness closing upon me.

The story was believable and enjoyable. The characters were likable and I could feel the doubt and fear over venturing into an unknown world, uncertain if the hope they have been clinging to will be realized.

It was a little frustrating that there some things that the characters know nothing about. I felt myself screaming the answers at them but I tried to be patient as some knowledge were intentionally hidden from them.

I lost all hope in YA, since I found myself discouraged from a lot of them. Although I think this also classifies as a middle-grade, I still consider it as YA. The City of Ember made me remember why I started reading YA in the first place.

Next installment, please.